|Grand Roo: The Roda Tree has said...|
Hover over the text to reveal them in English.
ᛏᚻᛁᛋ ᚨᚱᛏᛁᚳᛚᛖ ᚳᚩᚾᛏᚨᛁᚾᛋ ᚱᚩᚩᚾᛁᚳ ᚳᚻᚨᚱᚨᚳᛏᛖᚱᛋ. ᚣᚩᚢ ᚹᛁᛚᛚ ᚾᛖᛖᛞ ᚨ ᛋᚨᚳᚱᛖᛞ ᛒᛖᚨᛋᛏ ᚳᚩᛚᛚᚨᚱ ᚩᚱ ᛏᚢᚱᚾ ᚣᚩᚢᚱᛋᛖᛚᚠ ᛁᚾᛏᚩ ᚨ ᚱᚩᚩ ᛏᚩ ᚢᚾᛞᛖᚱᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚩᛗᛖ ᚩᚠ ᛏᚻᛖ ᛏᛖᛉᛏ ᛒᛖᛚᚩᚹ. ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᛞᚩᚾ'ᛏ ᚴᚾᚩᚹ ᚹᚻᚨᛏ ᛏᚻᛖᛋᛖ ᚳᚻᚨᚱᚨᚳᛏᛖᚱᛋ ᚨᚱᛖ, ᛏᚻᛖᚾ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚾᛖᛖᛞ ᛏᚩ ᛈᛚᚨᚣ ᛗᚩᚱᛖ ᚣᛋ ᚷᚨᛗᛖᛋ ᛚᛁᚴᛖ ᚳᛖᛚᚳᛖᛏᚨ ᚨᚾᛞ ᚩᚱᛁᚷᛁᚾ.
If you cannot see the characters above properly, please see this page.
Roos are one of the friendly monsters in the Ys series. They appears in almost all games in the series. Sometimes, player character can change into one of them too. When they are interacted with, their dialogue box with is populated with Roonic characters. However, there are various ways to interpret those dialogues.
Their favorite food is Roda fruits.
In the past, they were revered as "Sacred beasts". They do not have horns on their heads but during the events in Ys 700 years ago, the toxic gas from the demonic essence changed them into their current monstrous forms.
Roos usually speak in Roonic language. There languages are written in Roonic characters that can be translated into English (most of the time) as shown in the image below or use this Roonic Translator.
There is a magic from Gemma that allows Adol to transform into a roo.
Roos appears in six places within the Darm Tower. When the player feed them with Roda fruits, they will empowers the player with some rewards (see table below). They can be interacted with, but they cannot be understood other than Toal Fact in he demon form. When they are speaking in Roonics, they can be quite rude (or maybe roode?).
Yunica and Hugo mentioned that Rico Gemma would understand Roonic language, it is possible he is referring to the same magic that Adol received in Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished – The Final Chapter that turned him into Adoroo.
If Yunica refused or failed to give them a Roda fruit, they will say "ᚳᚢᚱᛋᛖ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚨᚾᛞ ᚣᚩᚢᚱ ᛚᛁᚾᛖᚨᚷᛖ! ᛗᚨᚣ ᚣᚩᚢᚱ ᛞᛁᛋᛏᚨᚾᛏ ᛞᛖᛋᚳᛖᚾᛞᚨᚾᛏ ᚠᚩᚱᛖᚩᚱᛞᚨᛁᚾ ᚻᛖᚱ ᚩᚹᚾ ᛗᚢᚱᛞᛖᚱ!" ("Curse you and your lineage! May your distant descendant foreordain her own murder!") This is a reference to one of the descendants of Yunica: Sara's murder in Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished ~ Omen.
If Hugo refused or failed to give them a Roda fruit, they will threaten him, "ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚳᚩᚾᛏᛁᚾᚢᛖ ᛏᚩ ᚻᚩᛚᛞ ᚩᚢᛏ ᚩᚾ ᛗᛖ, ᛁ ᚹᛁᛚᛚ ᛈᛖᛖ ᚩᚾ ᚣᚩᚢᚱ ᛋᚻᚩᛖᛋ.
ᚨᚾᛞ ᛗᚣ ᚢᚱᛁᚾᛖ ᛁᛋ ᛠᚢᛁᛏᛖ ᚳᚨᚢᛋᛏᛁᚳ!" ("If you continue to hold out on me, I will pee on your shoes. And my urine is quite caustic!")
If Toal refused or failed to give them a Roda fruit, they will say "ᚣᚩᚢᚱ ᚻᛖᚨᚱᛏ ᛁᛋ ᚨᛋ ᛒᛚᚨᚳᚴ ᚨᛋ ᛗᚣ ᛋᛏᚩᚩᛚ." ("Your heart is as black as my stool.")
|Roda fruit Location||Roo Location||Reward|
|Wailing Blue 5F||Wailing Blue 4F||Cleria Ore|
|Flooded Prison 8F||Flooded Prison 9F||Topaz|
|Guilty Fire 10F||Devil's Corridor 12F||Feena's theme (Yunica)|
Ring of Ease (Toal)
|Silent Sands 14F||Sylphen Boots (Yunica)|
Elder Shoes (Hugo)
Demon Greeves (Toal)
|Blighted Blood 18F||Blighted Blood 19F||Battle Armor (Yunica)|
Crimson coat (Hugo)
Phantom Mail (Toal)
|Demonic Core 22F||Demonic Core 23F||Ability: Burst|
However, in the English version, if you translated the Roonic languages on screen into English letter-by-letter, the content will even be different. These roos break the fourth wall and start mentioning the Ys series, the Trails series and even Star Trek.  Part of the dialogue is recorded below:
ᚻᚨᚢᛖ ᚣᚩᚢ ᛈᛚᚨᚣᛖᛞ ᛏᚻᛖ ᚩᛏᚻᛖᚱ ᚣᛋ ᚷᚨᛗᛖᛋ?
ᚠᛖᛚᚷᚻᚨᚾᚨ ᛁᛋ ᚠᚨᚾᛏᚨᛋᛏᛁᚳ. ᚱᛖᚨᛚᛚᚣ ᚷᚱᛖᚨᛏ ᛗᚨᛈ ᛞᛖᛋᛁᚷᚾ ᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᛈᛖᚱ ᛞᛁᚠᚠᛁᚳᚢᛚᛏ.
ᚩᚱᛁᚷᛁᚾᛋ ᛁᛋ ᛗᚩᚱᛖ ᛚᛁᚾᛖᚨᚱ ᛒᚢᛏ ᚻᚨᛋ ᛏᚻᚱᛖᛖ ᛗᚨᛁᚾ ᛈᚱᚩᛏᚨᚷᚩᚾᛁᛋᛏᛋ ᚨᚾᛞ ᚨ ᚱᛖᚨᛚᛚᚣ ᚷᚩᚩᛞ ᛋᛏᚩᚱᚣ.
ᛋᛖᚢᛖᚾ ᛁᛋ ᛏᚻᛖ ᚷᚨᛗᛖ ᛏᚻᚨᛏ ᛁᚾᛏᚱᚩᛞᚢᚳᛖᛞ ᛏᚻᛖ ᛖᚾᚷᛁᚾᛖ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚨᚱᛖ ᛈᛚᚨᚣᛁᚾᚷ ᚾᚩᚹ.
ᚨᚾᛞ ᚳᚻᚱᚩᚾᛁᚳᛚᛖᛋ ᛁᛋ ᛏᚻᛖ ᚷᚨᛗᛖ ᛏᚻᚨᛏ ᛋᛏᚨᚱᛏᛖᛞ ᛁᛏ ᚨᛚᛚ. ᛒᚢᛗᛈ ᛏᚩ ᛏᚻᛖ ᛒᛖᚨᛏ!
ᚨᚢᚨᛁᛚᚨᛒᛚᛖ ᚾᚩᚹ ᛋᚩ ᛈᛚᚨᚣ ᛏᚻᛖᛗ ᚨᛚᛚ ᚨᚾᛞ ᛒᚢᚣ ᛏᚻᛖᛗ ᚠᚩᚱ ᚨᛚᛚ ᚣᚩᚢᚱ ᚠᚱᛁᛖᚾᛞᛋ!
Have you played the other Ys games?
Felghana is fantastic. Really great map design and super difficult.
Origins is more linear but has three main protagonists and a really good story.
Seven is the game that introduced the engine you are playing now.
And Chronicles is the game that started it all. Bump to the beat!
Available now so play them all and buy them for all your friends!
Roos in this game
- Proose: a roo that appears in memory, see quote above.
- Rooinous: a roo shop owner.
- Froogal: a roo shopper in front of Rooinous' shop complaining things are too expensive.
- Scrooup & Orrocle: a pair of roos who comment on the controlling character's roonic name together.
- Aroostotle: a roo philosopher
- Arroogant: a self-proclaimed-strongest sacred beast in town.
- Roopture: a roo who talks about something (a rupture?) that they cannot hold in any longer
- Roopeat: a roo that repeats themselves
- Embaroosed: a roo that cannot stop talking about roda fruits they ate
- Rood: a rude roo.
- Droowsy: an always-sleeping roo.
- Roocifer: a roo that is jealous of Maroolyn.
- Roomeo: a roo who's in love with Maroolyn and praise her non-stop
- Maroolyn: a roo beauty
- Onrooker: an oracle roo who will unlock one of Adol's memory. (Seems to be mistakenly called Arroogant on their dialogue box in the English version)
- Grand Roo: the elder of Roos' Nest, he can communicate with the Roda tree and act as the translator between Adol and the tree. Though he would smuggle his own desires and claimed that the tree says it.
- All known named roos has the syllable "roo" in their name. The only exception is Xavier.
- Human-transformed roos have the R's or L's syllables in their names replaced with "roo". If no R's or L's are found in their name, other syllable will be replaced. E.g.Ozma's roonic name is "Orooma".
- Sometimes they will joke with their roo puns, but that differs on localization. For example, in the Chinese version, Oroocle will comment that "Spectacle is to watch on the side, it's not a human organ." The joke here is that "spectacle (旁觀 páng guān)" pronounce the very similar as "bladder (膀胱 páng guāng)" in Chinese, and sometimes people will say them wrongly.
- The characters that are shown when Roo speaks in Roonic languages are actually runic alphabets.