|Little Paro: "Found Adol! Found Aron! Who is Aron?"|
This article translated content that has not received a official localization.
Balduq (バルドゥーク), also known as the the Prison City, is a major city located in the Gllia-Erdlingen, a Romun province located in the northeast Esterior peninsula. It serves as the setting for Ys IX: Monstrum Nox.
Balduq owes its alias of Prison City to its enormous prison, surrounded by castle walls and a moat. Traces of the city's history as a walled city can still be found throughout. Balduq serves as an important hub in this area, for which the city is lined with inns, bars, and shops for travelers and commerce. These facilities have recently expanded with a theater and public bathhouses.
There are 10 hidden dungeons within the city. Three of them contain the following enemies:
|Plutoad||The larval stage of an amphibious monster. They relentlessly seek sources of fresh meat to sate their rapid development.|
|Roche||Maicious, rocky monsters held together by atmospheric pressure. Any obstacles in their way are promptly eliminated by the lasers fired from their eyes.|
|Cuhanni||A massive species of crab with a tough outer shell. Their tenacious claws and foaming bubble breath prove instrumental in cornering their victims.|
|Gigantic arachnids with sharp jaws and sturdy shells. They can spin webs of sticky thread, capturing prey with a measure of speed unbefitting their stature.|
|Moorgarth||Massive larvae with a taste for rotting human flesh above all else. They use their sharp red rongues to assault prospective prey.|
|Gloggury||A large species of gastropod. They retreat within themselves in order to trample prey with their spike-adorned shells.|
|Road to Hidden Treasure|
|Mudhu||A species of amorphous monster that has assimilated itself with rock and gravel. Contrary to their appearance, they hunt and move with surprising agility.|
|Skeletal monster capable of powerful occultic magicks. They utilize the power of the arcane to restrain the living before delivering their final judgment with their great, bloodstained scythes.|
|Full list - edit|
Decrepit Underpass and Road to Hidden Treasure are visited during sidequests related to Saradhi.
Nox points also appears around the city. They spawns Lemures when touched.
Real world analogues
- With Gllia region being an analogue to the Gaul(Latin: Gallia) in real world, Balduq is the analogue of the real world Paris, or more precisely, Lutetia during the Gallic Wars.
- The Hundred Years' War is an analogue to the real world Hundred Years' War between Britai (Britain) and Gllia (France).
- The Balduq Prison is the analogue of Bastille, which was built as a fort in the Hundred Years' War and turned into a prison. The luxury wing of the prison is a reference to the fact that Bastille was used to imprison political criminals, the upper-class people who opposed or angered Louis XIV.
Relation with Ys
Pa vo beuzet Paris (When Paris will be engulfed)
Ec'h adsavo Ker Is (Will re-emerge the City of Ys)
- In Breton (language spoken in Brittany), "Paris (Par Is)" means "similar to Ys", which is the real world analogue of Ys.
- Ys IX: Monstrum Nox marks the first time Reah, Feena and Dark Fact made a cameo in the series. This might be why.
- See Ys' return